Monday, June 16, 2008

Prayer request and adoption update

I know, most of you are thinking "two posts in one day?" I am shocked myself, but I wanted this topic to have its own post and not be with our beach vacation post. I have been hesistant to post a lot of stuff lately and also don't have a lot of time to get on the computer.

Josh and I have said that our beach vacations are good for babies for us. Last year, on our beach vacation is when we surprisingly became pregnant after two years of trying (that is the baby I lost), and this year, we received a phone call about a very precious baby, while we were at the beach.

As most of you know who have been following this adoption process with us, I was really thinking about us switching agencies because the agency that did our homestudy did not have any birthmothers at the time we became approved to adopt. I did a lot of calling around at that time and one of the agencies I phoned was Christian Family Services in Florida. An adoption friend of mine had told me that this was the agency they used and were very pleased. During my phone call with them, I had a very pleasant conversation with the intake manager of the agency. She was friendly but told me that we couldn't be accepted for their waiting list because my husband was not open to accepting African American and most of their babies were either AA or bi-racial (black/white). But, we did talk briefly about a Brazilian girl who had contacted them. Well, I went on to find us another agency, and we applied and were accepted.

But, it was the Christian Family Services agency who contacted me while on vacation about this Brazilian girl. We talked at length about her situation and Josh and I were very interested in learning more. There were several things that sort of made me and the director of CFS feel that God could be involved in this one. I feel kind of bonded to this young girl and her family just through talking with the director about her. This is why I am writing this post asking for prayers on her behalf. The medical profession involved with her have informed them that there is likely a problem with the baby. It could be rather severe or it could be that he isn't as badly affected as they fear. There is a possibility for hydrocephaly and apparent holes in the brain. Because of this news, Josh and I have taken a step back and are just wanting to be kept informed of the developments with this young girl and her baby. She is firm on her decision to place for adoption and the birthfather has already terminated his rights. Please pray for a miracle for this little baby boy. I know, from what the director of CFS has told me, that if he is born severely affected, it will be much more difficult to find him a loving home. This is his birthmother's deepest concern and desire. She even wants to meet with the adoptive family before birth. We had considered a meeting with her while we were in Florida, but held off for further tests to be done.

I know that God can perform miracles and I also know that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord. I feel that something good will come out of this, even if it isn't apparent at first.

As things stand now, Josh and I are still waiting for a match with a birthmother through an agency in Georgia, Open Door Adoptions. Please pray for a successful adoption to happen sometime this year!

2 comments:

Mary Katherine said...

I am praying for this baby and for the mother! Please keep us updated if you are able! :-) Praying for you as well!

azhulsey said...

I hope this happens for you guys very soon! I think about you often. I also have a blog now too! I just started yesterday so I do not have a lot there yet, but my first blog is very personal and tells the story of the troubles we had conceiving. Keep us updated on the adoption! I will be praying for you all!